January 22, 2010

Via Bolognese, 2.6 miles






So today was the first day we had to get to campus on our own. Depending on what sessions you were going to, everyone could go at different times. Jesnie had to go to the earliest one but I decided to go to the later morning one and walk to campus alone. I most definitely got lost but actually managed to get to campus fairly well, I felt very accomplished. On my way I found a place that sold bagels, i knew they would never taste like New York's but it would have to do the trick. I got a cappucino and plain bagel with nutella, it was basically a roll with nutella but whatever I was starving. The workers were very nice and welcomed me to Florence. As i waited forever for my bagel to toast an old lady came in to drink some kind of liquor (it was bright red) in a glass and then proceeded to walk out. I dont know exactly what that was all about but I laughed really hard, she was really old and drinking hard liquor at 11 am. Via Bolognese where our school is located is a giant hill with a very narrow sidewalk and cars, buses and vespas fly by. The walk is also 4.2 km, to me that meant nothing until I did the conversion and realized thats 2.6 miles so everyday just going to class and back will be a 5 mile walk. Also the ridiculous hills and 4 flights of stairs up to my "2nd floor" apartment will make it so I never have to go to they gym.

Jesnie and I walked back from campus together and didn't have to use the map, it was an amazing feeling. Im finally beginning to understand the city, its comforting. NYU gave us a horrible lunch so basically we had walked all day and were starving. However, we still dont' understand when stores are actually open and when they go home for their nap so we just went home starving. Also, the boots I thought I wore in before I left gave me extremely painful blisters.
We rearranged our furniture in our room completely and it seems a million times bigger. We are no longer sleeping 6 inches from one another and can actually walk around the room. Beyond excited that our room feels much more like a nice living space now. Then we finally got our lazy, starving selves to go the grocery store and buy some things we could cook.
After some kids from via maffia, Jesnie and I met Vinh in Santa Croce which is a big white church not a street, learned that today and felt retarded. Had really good pizza for 3 euro and then got gelato at Grom. Then we all walked back because we have immigration at 9 am tomorrow which means we have to leave our dorm thats 2.6 miles away at 7 am and try to beat the other dorms there so we can be first in line.

Overall life is getting much easier which is good, minus the fact our shower does not have hot water and sometimes the toilet doesn't flush, maintenance claims they'll be here tomorrow but I have my doubts. I finally made it a whole day without a nap which is why I'm completely exhausted right now and not looking forward to waking up tomorrow before the sun rises. Italy is teaching us all how to relax and enjoy sitting places for long periods of time with no real purpose but to chill.

I've attached a few pictures of campus it was beautiful out today. Some students were eating lunch outside today in the grass and a few boys were playing soccer, its like REAL college with an actual campus. Facebook is being retarded but when it decides to work I will upload the rest of the pics. Also videos to come soon.

Buona Sera!

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds amazing! So much for you quitting the coffee....that's why you don't need to nap...and don't kid urself, those pastries and nutella will sneak up on ya!! stairs wont cut it - go for a run there...you'd see so much and itd be beautiful - you won't regret it especially if the weather is nice!! my favorite gelato is stracciatella...have some for me!! ahh im so jealous of you now!! i CANNOT believe that that campus is actually owned by nyu...shud go abroad more often...cept here at laf..we have unlimited hot water...which doesnt say much...and who is that woman drinking at 11am?? uhhh MY HERO!! i miss u - keep having an awesome time!! lemme no when your video is workin so we can skype!!

    ReplyDelete