February 24, 2010

La Dolce Vita

So, I apologize for not blogging in quite sometime. I am going to try and make it more of a habit. Katie blogs every night, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that but at least a few times a week. Anyway, when I first arrived in Florence I was in a lot more culture shock then I thought. I was never unhappy or depressed but I anticipated it to be super easy knowing I could speak the language and lived in Rome, NY my whole life. After I adjusted I was waiting for that OMG study abroad is the most amazing time of your life to kick in. I thought that would also happen the first week. But again it took a lot more time then I thought. However, it has all happened just as I knew it would.

Well, I'm in love with life and study abroad. I am so relaxed all the time. There is nothing really to worry about ever. This week my marketing and politics class got cancelled so I only have had to go to Italian from 1:30-2:45 pm, Mon-Thurs. This weekend Katie (my roommate from NYU in New York City) came to visit with her family. It was really nice to show them around Florence and see the more touristy things that I have yet to take time out to see. I think they really enjoyed the relaxed Italian lifestyle and most definitely the gelato. Also they were extremely generous and paid for ALL of my food for the weekend at the different restaurants around Florence (you need to thank your parents again Katie). Also Jesnie (my roommate here) went to Switzerland for the weekend to visit her family there so Katie stayed with me. It was just like old times except this time in Italy. It was a really amazing weekend and worked out perfectly that I had not planned a trip somewhere else that weekend.

This Friday 10 of us from my dorm are going to Brussels, Belgium for the weekend and Katie might be able to meet us from Paris! :-) As most of you know, I love to plan. So booking trips and organizing hotels and making sure we have all the details set has been my source of entertainment. Basically every weekend until I leave is booked with a trip, all of which I got amazing deals on (after a lot of research). After Brussels we have midterms so I'm just doing a day trip to Modena with NYU where they make balsamic vinegar and we are going to go balsamic vinegar tasting. Then it's Spring Break, to begin Spring Break we have an apartment in Barcelona. Katie and Joe are meeting us there from Paris and then my friends from NYU (DFB, Milena, Adriana, and Nina) who are in NYC this semester are also coming. It is going to be such a fun weekend I cannot wait. From Barcelona we are flying to Prague to visit our friends studying abroad there. The Czech Republic is not on the Euro and the exchange rate is amazing. So we have free places to stay and the crowns which will make a much cheaper second half of spring. Also in Barcelona and Prague they have Starbucks! The last weekend in March I am going to see Manuella and my Grandma's family in Calabria. Well, actually I only bought my return ticket home, I haven't bought my ticket there yet because I am waiting for prices to go down. Ryanair.com which is a cheap European airline has sales that they change every Thursday and Monday night so something should go on sale before then. I already talked to Manuella yesterday and she said to call her back with details because she wants to take that Friday off of work. Mary is planning to come for Easter Break which is so exciting and crazy! She applied for an express passport so hopefully that all works out and she can get here! If Mary comes I am making her bring me so much stuff from home, I already have a list formulating in my head. The day Mary leaves I am flying to Paris to see Katie and Katlin and to celebrate Vinh's birthday. Ever since I left Paris I have been excited to go back, it's so much fun and there is so much to do. I am most excited for the pastries from Laudrée (be jealous Marina). The weekend after we are going back to Spain (Ibiza) for Jesnie's birthday. Then we are finishing off our travels with a trip to London to see the last group of study abroad kids. So again free places to stay but unfortunately we will be paying with the British pound, not cool. Then finals and I will be flying back home.

I had a dream the other night. I was about a block from Friendlys and I realized I could turn my blackberry back on (I cannot express how much I miss it). I got so excited but then we pulled into the driveway and I realized that study abroad was over. Everything was just done and I started bawling crying. Then I woke up and realized I was still in Italy. So my goal is to appreciate every minute I have here, before it's over. I'm in love with how simple and easy going life is here. Everyone is trying to stress me out with summer internships and housing but I keep ignoring it. I am going to start working on some summer applications tonight and hopefully make a habit of checking career net every night. Also I can't figure out housing until I find out about RA. Pray that I get that job it will save so much money $$$ and also the stress of finding an apartment in NYC.

Another amazing thing is we found this café about 2 min from my apartment that sells BAGELS, American coffee, cupcakes, apple pie, english muffins, and cinnamon buns. It's like a taste of NYC sitting in the middle of Florence. It is absolutely adorable in the inside and makes me feel so happy in the inside. All they are missing is Wi-fi and I would basically live there. Also, the gelato places are all starting to open up because the weather is getting nicer so I just have had tons of amazing gelato. Earlier today I got lemon and yogurt flavored gelato. Together they tasted like lemon meringue, by far the best combination I have ever had! Overall I am just so happy to be here and thankful that God has blessed me with such an amazing opportunity. I do miss everyone and love you all! Skype, call, write, or just comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment