February 16, 2010

The Roman in Rome



So this weekend was my trip to Rome. I absolutely loved every second of it. I kept telling everyone I grew up in the wrong Rome. There is a lot to see and do in Rome which makes it really expensive but fun. All of the old buildings, monuments, fountains etc are around every corner and you never know what amazing thing you are going to run into next. Its big city-ness made me happy because I do miss New York City, a lot. The streets are much wider and there is a metro system. Also, people stay out at night and things do not close down as early like in Florence. We ate at an amazing restaurant in Rome suggested by our tour guide in the Vatican. we had to wait over an hour for a table but it was worth it. In the middle of the restaurant there was a big wood burning oven and the walls and ceiling were all decorated with dried herbs, garlic, hot peppers. It was really, really adorable.
The first night we walked everywhere around Rome so we got to see a lot of it by just exploring so that was really nice. We found the Trevi fountain and it's just as amazing as all the movies and pictures make it seem. The second day we took the bus to Vatican City then took another bus to the Pantheon where we got lunch at a nearby restaurant. Vatican City was really really beautiful and we were happy we paid for a tour because it made it much more enjoyable and worthwhile. The Pantheon was like whatever it takes two seconds to walk in walk in a circle and walk out. Then we got amazing gelato at some famous place called 'Gioletti' it was really good but I got tiramisu and I think they put straight up liquor in it which makes it taste a little funky. Then we took the bus to the Colosseum but we did not realize that it closes at 3:30 pm so we couldn't get in. So we walked home and took a much needed nap. After we finally woke up we took the bus to the restaurant our tour guide suggested. When we finally left the restaurant (it was in a less touristy neighborhood) we walked back towards the city center and ran into hundreds and hundreds of Italian teenagers just hanging out on the streets, partying doing whatever. They were all crowded in the streets, hanging out in the piazzas but it was really cold out so I dont how they were staying outside. Also, they don't like Americans in their area of town and I kinda felt really out of place and unwanted as we walked through.
The next morning we woke up really early to go see the Coliseum but the line was really long so we paid for a tour so we could skip the line but didn't actually go on the tour. We walked around really quick there really wasn't much to see. You kind of have to go inside the Coliseum just to say you did it but there really isn't anything that interesting to see. So that was Rome! Absolutely loved it. However it was nice to get back to Florence. I'm glad to be in Florence because it's so much different that New York City and its a good home base.
Katie and her family might be coming to Florence this weekend! So excited!!!! They are in Paris and want to come to Italy and Florence seems to be the most affordable trip. So I will do all the touristy things in Florence with them so that will be good. I was saying when I left Rome that I have seen almost all of Rome but have yet to climb the Duomo or see David and they are right here. That's all for now. I'm in love with my life here. I have finally learned to relax, enjoy doing nothing and enjoy my semester off from hard classes. It's perfection, for real.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer

    I spoke to your Mom today and she told me about your blog. You are going to have a wonderful experience!! I spent a semester in Roma when I was in school and it was by far the best part of all my years of college! I am so happy for you, and jealous, too:) The food is unbelievable..the art and buildings amazing. I hope you got to il Vaticani. Firenze is so charming. I hope you don't mind if I check out your blog every now and then. It is bringing back so many memories. Have fun and be safe!

    Love,

    Laura Froio Brinkerhoff

    laurabrink@aol.com
    P.S. Thank you for the Christmas card

    ReplyDelete